Thank you for your interest in Recertification with AANPCB. Certificants are encouraged to apply online. A paper application is available for certificants who prefer this method.
Certification is "time limited". Minimum requirements for renewal of certification must be met within the 5-year period of certification in order to renew certification.
For detailed information, refer to the Recertification Handbook [2MB .pdf].
There are two options for certification renewal.
Option 1: Recertify by Clinical Practice Hours and Continuing Education (CE)
- Minimum 1,000 hours of clinical practice in the Nurse Practitioner role in any specialty appropriate for the population focus of certification through employment, faculty clinical supervision, or as a volunteer within 5-year certification period.
- Faculty Hours:Faculty time spent with NP students and patients during clinical practicum hours can be counted as clinical practice hours. A maximum of 500 clinical visit hours may be counted towards the 1,000 required clinical hours for recertification in the five-year certification period. Credit is for actual time in the clinical agency and telehealth sites. Faculty clinical hours will not be accepted for simulation, standardized patient evaluations, conference time, clinical agency site evaluations, or travel time to and from the site.
- Minimum 100 contact hours of advanced CE
- Pharmacology CEs are required - 25 credits of the 100 CEs must be advanced practice pharmacology that are completed within the 5-year certification period.
- Precepting is an optional criterion that can be used to replace up to 25 non-pharmacology CE credits. Precepting is defined as serving as a clinical preceptor for interdisciplinary advanced health care student(s) while providing direct patient care as a nurse practitioner in your area of certification. To convert clinical preceptor hours to CE contact hours, see the Conversion Table in the Recertification Handbook. A maximum of 125 preceptor hours may replace 25 non-pharmacology CE credits.
- Hold current RN or APRN licensure during the period of certification.
Option 2: Recertify by Examination
- Take the A-GNP, ENP, or FNP National Certification Examination. (Due to examination retirement, this is not an available option for ANP or GNP Certifications).
- Hold current RN licensure during the period of certification.
When you are ready to recertify, proceed to our homepage and scroll down until you see the "Recertify Now" button. You will be prompted to login to your online profile, and will then proceed to the online application. Paper applications are also available under "Forms" on the navigation bar, and include a built-in processing fee of $50 per submission.