Purpose of Recertification and Related Documents
It is recognized that nurse practitioners must maintain professional competency based on new information and knowledge affecting their practice. The purpose of certification renewal is to provide a mechanism by which AANPCB can assure the public that AANPCB-certified nurse practitioners have met current professional standards of knowledge and skills required to maintain their certification as an ANP, ENP, FNP, GNP, or A-GNP.
Adult, Adult-Gerontology, Emergency, Family, and Gerontologic Nurse Practitioners certified by AANPCB must renew their certification every five (5) years. This is accomplished by both meeting current minimum clinical practice and continuing education requirements established by AANPCB for renewal and maintenance of certification, or by sitting for the appropriate AGNP or FNP certification examination. Renewal of certification by examination is not an option for ANPs or GNPs.
Conversion of ANP and GNP Dual-certified NPs
Certificants who are certified as both an Adult Nurse Practitioner and a Gerontologic Nurse Practitioner may complete the application process for conversion of the individual credentials to the A-GNP credential.
Recertification Application and Documents
- Certificants must create or update their Online Profile.
- Renewal of certification is an online application.
- Steps to complete the Paper Application form:
- Download the appropriate Renewal of Certification Application form.
- Paper applications are fillable PDF forms. Type directly into the application form, then save to your computer. The latest version of Adobe Reader is required. Download Adobe Reader (Free)
- Return the completed application form by fax, email, or mail.
- For additional information, refer to FAQs and the Recertification Handbook [2MB .pdf]
Renewal of Certification by Examination Application [472KB .pdf]
Renewal of Certification State Board Notification [242KB .pdf]
Preceptorship Form [230KB .pdf]
Continuing Education Log [157KB .pdf]