Confidentiality and Disclosure Policy
The American Academy of Nurse Practitioners National Certification Board, Inc. maintains policies and procedures with regards to day-to-day business practices to ensure that confidential information received by and entrusted to AANPCB for the purposes of certification is not disclosed inappropriately.
(a.) Disclosure of Information
- Written or electronic authorization by the applicant or Certificant is required before any information may be released regarding an individual?s status in the certification program.
- All sensitive and confidential information received (e.g., application, birth year, Social Security Number, credit card information, transcript), is used solely for the purposes of certification and verification and cannot be shared without written or electronic permission. Disclosure will not take place that violates an applicant’s or Certificant’s rights of privacy.
(b.) Confirmation of Status or Request for Information
- AANPCB provides primary source Verification of Eligibility to Test for candidates, and Verification of Certification for nurse practitioners certified by AANPCB to state boards of nursing and employers upon request.
- Verification request forms are available on our website under “Verify” tab.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant or Certificant to provide the AANPCB with any additional forms required from state regulatory agencies, employers, or others to whom disclosure of information is requested.
- A signed form or electronic attestation authorization by the applicant or Certificant granting permission to disclose verification or certification status will be
accepted via email, mail, fax, or courier service if the signatures match the application signature or the email request received includes the applicant’s or Certificants
unique identifier number. The authorization must include the name and address of the party to whom the information is to be forwarded to. Verbal authorization
will not be accepted.
(c.) Disclosure of Examination Scores
- Disclosure of aggregate score reports will be made to the public through written reports and to NP educational programs that have at least 3 candidates testing within a calendar year.
- Examination scores are considered confidential information and will not be disclosed to anyone other than the candidate without specific written instructions to whom the information is to be disclosed.
- Signed authorization by the applicant or Certificant granting permission to disclose individual scores will be accepted via mail, fax, or courier service. The authorization must include the name and address of the party to whom the information is to be forwarded. Verbal authorization is not accepted.
AANPCB maintains a quality assurance review process to ensure adherence of its policies and procedures for continued delivery of high quality services to AANPCB candidates and certificants.